[lldb-dev] Restarting the application in remote debugging

Greg Clayton gclayton at apple.com
Fri Aug 9 12:56:23 PDT 2013

On Aug 8, 2013, at 6:04 AM, chansarav <chansarav at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have ported lldb for remotely debugging our target. The lldb is connected to the target simulator using the gdb remote protocol.
>
> $lldb --arch vliw app.elf
> (lldb)process connect --plugin gdb-remote connect://localhost:51000
>
> The above command connects the lldb with the target simulator waiting at port '51000'. And the debug commands work properly.
>
> But once the execution of the application completes, I am facing the problem in restarting the application for debugging again.
>
> For restarting the application being debugged, I think lldb should send the 'R' packet. When would lldb send the 'R' packet?
>
> Currently the target simulator sends the SIGTERM signal (T0fthread:0001) after completing the program execution. And on receiving this signal, lldb doesn't doesn't display the message "Program exited normally”.

The “T0F” means we stopped with a signal. Send a “WXX” packet to indicate the program exited.

> Also when I gave the 'continue' command to restart the application debugging again, lldb sends the 'C0f' packet.

Yes, you indicated you stopped with a signal. We often catch signals before they get passed onto the signal handlers and we can decide to not pass on the signal. See “help process handle” for more information, but again, if your process exits with a signal, send a “WXX” packet where XX is the hex exit status of the program.

Greg