[lldb-dev] multiple DW_TAG_compile_unit in 1 ir file

Greg Clayton gclayton at apple.com
Tue Oct 23 16:57:18 PDT 2012

On Oct 23, 2012, at 7:48 AM, Carlo Kok <ck at remobjects.com> wrote:

> Op 22-10-2012 10:43, Carlo Kok schreef:
>> LLVM's debug info generator is perfect happy with multiple
>> DW_TAG_compile_unit's in 1 IR file.
>>
>> Even after compiling to .o, the object file contains two of them,
>> however when linking with ld (osx) and then loading with LLDB there's
>> only one eSymbolTypeObjectFile in the file (Which make sense) and an
>> eSymbolTypeSourceFile "source" before that so during debugging, it only
>> accepts the first source file for breakpoints. Is there a way to change
>> how I emit it in LLVM or fix in LLDB to get this to work properly?
>>
>> My IR (compiled as x86_64):
>> http://pastebin.com/DAF7nhDe
>
> dwarfdump of the file:
> http://pastebin.com/CYarpscv
>
> (looks ok)

The DWARF is _not_ OK. it is truncated and can't find the abbeviation code for the first DIE inside the compile unit.

Try running dwarfdump with the --verify option (if you are running the MacOSX version of dwarfdump:

dwarfdump --verify "/Users/ck/Library/Application Support/RemObjects Software/Oxygene/CrossBox/c30b0ae7-8aaf-4ea4-b102-845951c60691/Build/CocoaApplication1.o"

> nm of the mach-o executable looks wrong:
> http://pastebin.com/EyiWc4Dj

Don't use "nm", it likes to reorder your symbols and the symbol ordering is very important. Try dsymutil with the -s option:

dsymutil -s ./c30b0ae7-8aaf-4ea4-b102-845951c60691/CocoaApplication1

It looks ok from what I can tell. Though the ".pas" extension on the source files looks worrysome?