[lldb-dev] "expression" for gcc compiled code

Matthias Neeracher neeracher at apple.com
Wed Jul 21 10:16:15 PDT 2010

While "variable list" works when debugging my gcc compiled program, I'm not having much luck using "expression". No matter what expression I try, as soon as I refer to any variables, I get something like:

error: couldn't evaluate DWARF expression: DW_OP_APPLE_extern(0) opcode encountered with no decl map.

Simple stuff like "expr 1+1" works, though.

Is evaluating expressions in gcc (as opposed to llvm-gcc or clang), compiled code fundamentally broken, or is this likely to be a simple problem that would be reasonably easy for me to trace down (I'm getting somewhat comfortable running lldb under gdb by now ;-) ?

Matthias