[Libclc-dev] [LLVMdev] ANN: libclc (OpenCL C library implementation)

Peter Collingbourne peter at pcc.me.uk
Wed Oct 19 16:06:43 PDT 2011

Hi Ralf,

> I agree on the fact that we should try to merge the different
> open-source OpenCL projects, but at least at first glance they do not
> seem to share too many design decisions.

One of the primary goals of libclc is to pool efforts between OpenCL
implementations in terms of implementing the large proportion of OpenCL C
builtin functions which can be implemented generically, since this task is
tedious and hardly ever the focus of any individual implementation but is a
conformance requirement.  I therefore consider libclc to be an important
step towards merging OpenCL projects.

> In contrast to Clover and pocl, we aimed at maximum performance before
> full support of the API (which simply requires more manpower than one
> PhD student).

I was in a similar position when I decided to start the libclc
project.  While my ultimate goal was not performance, the sheer
number of built-in functions was far too much for my one-man research
project to handle.  What libclc represents right now are the generic
functions I have implemented so far as part of this project, plus a
few new functions.

> Also, due to simplicity we currently employ AMD's OpenCL-to-LLVM
> frontend and OpenCL-library from an earlier SDK. libclc sounds like the
> perfect fit for us to get rid of that.

Great.  If you do decide to get involved in libclc development,
please get in touch on the mailing list:

Thanks,
--
Peter