[libc-dev] Fwd: correctly rounded mathematical functions

Paul Zimmermann via libc-dev libc-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 6 02:22:12 PST 2022

       Hi Siva,

>  Are developers of llvm-libc interested by such functions?
>
> Yes!

great to hear!

>  If so, we could discuss what would be the requirements for integration
>  in
>  llvm-libc in terms of license, table size, allowed operations.
>
> With respect to license: The contributions should be under the LLVM license
> and follow the LLVM libc coding style. We can help with setting up the
> boiler plate and guide with respect to the coding style.

we might consider multi-licensing but we'll try to avoid if possible.

Would the MIT license be ok for inclusion in LLVM? According to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/License_compatibility it is more permissive
than the Apache license, on which the LLVM is based, according to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LLVM.

> About table sizes: Since this is specifically about cr_* functions, I do not
> think there should be any table size limitations to begin with. I would
> imagine that you will continue to work on reducing the table sizes as they
> can potentially impact runtime performance.

ok, indeed once we get a first correctly rounding implementation for one
function, we'll try to improve its efficiency and/or reduce the table sizes.

> About allowed operations: I do not think there will be any restrictions here
> as well. LLVM libc is a pick and choose libc. So, if someone does not want
> some or all of cr_* functions, they can simply exclude them.

great!

> Hope this answers your questions. Feel free to ask if you have any more.

yes thanks.

Best regards,
Paul