[flang-dev] Questions about development and contributions

Kiran Chandramohan via flang-dev flang-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jan 19 07:11:49 PST 2022

Hello Yuri Gribov,

The fir-dev​ branch of f18-llvm-project​ hosts the most up to date and
complete version of the flang project. We are in the process of upstreaming this
to `llvm-project`.  The llvm-project​ repository does not currently contain
codegen. The upstreaming should hopefully be complete in the next few
months.

1) At the moment we would like to test Flang's frontend on our projects.
Should I use
  - https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project (main branch)
  - https://github.com/flang-compiler/f18-llvm-project (main branch)
  - https://github.com/flang-compiler/f18-llvm-project (fir-dev branch)
for that?

If you want to test preprocessing, parsing, semantic checks then the main​ branch of
llvm-project​ is the best place.
If you would like to test end-to-end then the fir-dev​ branch of f18-llvm-project​
is the best place now.

2) In case I ever want to test Flang codegen from fir-dev branch, where can
I find instructions for that?
https://llvm.discourse.group/t/generating-fir-mlirs-fortran-dialect-using-fl
ang/1592 suggests that there is a dedicated bbc tool for that without going
into much detail...

Recently support for a driver that can do codegen was added. The driver is
called flang-new​. You can use that just like you would use clang.

3) I found some issues with flang wrapper script (including e.g.
https://github.com/flang-compiler/f18-llvm-project/issues/1391) - where
should I send the contributions? Is regular "make check" enough to test a
contribution?

Please send your contributions using Phabricator to the llvm-project​ main​ branch.

4) Where should I address my questions: here or in
https://llvm.discourse.group/c/subprojects/flang ? The Discourse channel
does not look much alive...

I think Discourse is the correct medium. The mailing list will become read-only in
February. You can also contact folks on flang-compiler.slack.com

Thanks,
Kiran
I'd like to ask a few questions about flang development and contributions.

[...]

Best regards,
Yuri Gribov