[flang-dev] Questions about development and contributions

Yuri Gribov via flang-dev flang-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jan 19 03:48:42 PST 2022

Hi all,

I'd like to ask a few questions about flang development and contributions.

1) At the moment we would like to test Flang's frontend on our projects.
Should I use
  - https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project (main branch)
  - https://github.com/flang-compiler/f18-llvm-project (main branch)
  - https://github.com/flang-compiler/f18-llvm-project (fir-dev branch)
for that?

2) In case I ever want to test Flang codegen from fir-dev branch, where can
I find instructions for that?
https://llvm.discourse.group/t/generating-fir-mlirs-fortran-dialect-using-fl
ang/1592 suggests that there is a dedicated bbc tool for that without going
into much detail...

3) I found some issues with flang wrapper script (including e.g.
https://github.com/flang-compiler/f18-llvm-project/issues/1391) - where
should I send the contributions? Is regular "make check" enough to test a
contribution?

4) Where should I address my questions: here or in
https://llvm.discourse.group/c/subprojects/flang ? The Discourse channel
does not look much alive...

Best regards,
Yuri Gribov