[flang-dev] How to properly test a patch

Andrzej Warzynski via flang-dev flang-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Sep 17 04:18:02 PDT 2021

Craig,

There is quite a few Flang BuildBot workers available here:
https://lab.llvm.org/buildbot/#/builders
(type "flang" in the search box to filter the other ones out). Quite a
few configurations are tested, but as Mehdi points out, these workers
run post-merge.

I'm not sure how to check the available configurations for pre-merge
testing. I do know that there are both Linux and Windows bots running
for every patch that you submit to Phabricator. A summary is usually
available in the "Details" box at the top (alongside "Reviewers" etc).

Most of us have had a patch reverted at some point - it's just really
hard to cover the whole matrix. Your patch
(https://reviews.llvm.org/D108059) landed with:
 > This revision was landed with ongoing or failed builds.
Perhaps pre-merge testing did hint something? I'm not sure whether it's
possible to dig out the actual log, so we'll probably never know. And
false negatives do happen occasionally.

I'm not aware of any efforts to improve the upstream testing of LLVM
Flang just now, but every now and then some extra configuration is
added. Recently, Michael Kruse added a Windows post-merge worker. That's
been a huge improvement for us.

Btw, most of the time, "shared library builds" are a better at capturing
dependency/build errors and that's what I tend to use by default.

-Andrzej