[flang-dev] [EXTERNAL] flang test questions

McCormick, Pat via flang-dev flang-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jul 20 08:17:53 PDT 2021

Hi Damian,

For a bit broader visibility…

We recently added a (temporary?) directory for intrinsic tests under "flang/test/Intrinsics” but we still need to decide how to best integrate it into the testing infrastructure.  For now, my vote would be that it is OK to land your tests there and we can then decide where these tests should live in the long run.  Personally, I think the intrinsic specific details (both lowering and “correctness") make a bit more sense as part flang's testing vs. rolling them all the way up to the llvm  level.  But that’s just my take — others should chime in if there is a better path…

—Pat

On Jul 20, 2021, at 2:02 AM, Damian Rouson via flang-dev <flang-dev at lists.llvm.org<mailto:flang-dev at lists.llvm.org>> wrote:

On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 11:30 PM Kiran Chandramohan <Kiran.Chandramohan at arm.com<mailto:Kiran.Chandramohan at arm.com>> wrote:

>>Am Di., 13. Juli 2021 um 14:59 Uhr schrieb Damian Rouson via flang-dev
>><flang-dev at lists.llvm.org<mailto:flang-dev at lists.llvm.org>>:
>>> I'm getting started with writing tests for flang and have a few questions. First, would you recommend contributing tests to the llvm-test-suite repository at  https://github.com/llvm/llvm-test-suite?

> Yes, I think the llvm-test-suite should feature more Fortran tests.
> See the documentation at [1] and [2] as an example for how tests are
> added. For instance, NASA Advanced Supercomputing Parallel Benchmarks
> [3] could be added.

If these are tests for Fortran intrinsics then wouldn't the better place be somewhere in the flang directory? Like in unit-tests or something?

After some discussion offline, I decided to put the tests in the LLVM repository -- presumably the flang directory -- instead of in llvm-test-suite.

Damian