[flang-dev] RFC: Fortran optoins in Clang

Andrzej Warzynski via flang-dev flang-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Apr 8 07:59:25 PDT 2021

Hello,

What should Clang do when using options that are reserved for Flang
(i.e. that only make sense for Fortran input)? Should this be a warning
or an error?

Currently Clang will issue an error. This is problematic to some users
and was brought up in a post-commit review for
https://reviews.llvm.org/D95460. GCC is more forgiving in such scenarios:
```
gcc -c  -ffree-form  file.c
cc1: warning: command line option ‘-ffree-form’ is valid for Fortran but
not for C
```
I propose that we introduce similar logic in Clang. A patch implementing
this is available here: https://reviews.llvm.org/D99353.

This is a user-facing change and I want to make sure that this works for
everyone. Your feedback is much appreciated!

-Andrzej