[flang-dev] [classic-flang] RFC for pull request validation process for Classic Flang

Kiran Chandramohan via flang-dev flang-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Aug 20 01:40:21 PDT 2020

Hi all,

I am proposing two minor amendments to the Pull Request Validation process.

1) Currently, for merging a Pull Request two volunteers are required to run the tests and approve. But this has to be done for three platforms. We are finding that this requirement for three platforms is slowing down the processing since a gatekeeper do not have access to all three platforms. I propose that we change the requirement to atleast two of Arm, X86, OpenPower.

2) Currently, the process requires testing on LLVM 9.0. But we are currently setting up support for LLVM 10.0 and vendors using Flang are moving to 10.0/11.0. I propose that we change the requirement to LLVM 9.0 or later versions supported by Flang.

The proposed changes will convert the following point,

Even for the most trivial patch, at least two volunteers must apply the patch, run their internal tests, and give feedback on the patch. The patch should be run on at least Arm, x86 and OpenPOWER on LLVM 9.0.

Even for the most trivial patch, at least two volunteers must apply the patch, run their internal tests, and give feedback on the patch. The patch should be run on at least two of Arm, X86, OpenPower on LLVM (9.0 or later versions supported by flang).

We will discuss these two points in the Classic Flang Technical call on Wednesday. Meeting link below. If you need a meeting invite then please let me know.
https://teams.microsoft.com/l/meetup-join/19%3ameeting_YjM5YjlmNGEtMjA0MS00MTRlLTg5ZjUtOTM1ZGIxOTU2NWQy%40thread.v2/0?context=%7b%22Tid%22%3a%22f34e5979-57d9-4aaa-ad4d-b122a662184d%22%2c%22Oid%22%3a%223641875c-ef5b-4767-8105-0787a195852f%22%7d

Thanks,
Kiran