[clangd-dev] [cfe-dev] [RFC] Deprecate pre-commit email code reviews in favor of Phabricator

David Blaikie via clangd-dev clangd-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue May 18 13:01:06 PDT 2021

On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 6:50 AM Krzysztof Parzyszek <kparzysz at quicinc.com>
wrote:

> Post-commit reviews are conducted, in order of preference, on Phabricator,
>
> This still seems like a change in practice that I'm not in favor of,
> personally - due to the current divergence between email and phab review
> feedback. Yes, this would be one way to unify it - but I'm not sure it's
> necessarily the best one.
>
> I'd suggest leaving this to a separate proposal so as not to
> complicate/muddy the waters of the formalization of pre-commit review
> practice.
>

> I simply broke up the existing sentence from the documentation into two
> parts, one about pre-commit reviews and the other about all other code
> reviews (which are basically the post-commit reviews, although I’m open to
> corrections here).  The first part was modified to reflect the proposed
> change, the second part was left unchanged.

I think the issue is that the original phrasing was probably only intended
to describe the preference for pre-commit review. (I think statements about
post-commit review could reasonably read to be only those that say
"post-commit review", in this (
https://llvm.org/docs/CodeReview.html#can-code-be-reviewed-after-it-is-committed
) section.

So I think (at least in terms of how to read it in a way that matches
existing practice) the original wording amounted to something like this:

... "post-commit review can use any of the tools listed below" ...
... "pre-commit review is done in this order of phab, email, etc... "

ie: the post-commit review didn't have the same order of preference as
pre-commit review.

I'd probably pull out the post-commit review-specific wording back up to
where post-commit review is discussed, and leave the rest of this to talk
about pre-commit review (most of this document discussing unqualified
"review" seems predominantly to be talking about "pre-commit review" except
the part that talks about "post commit review").

Probably move the "on our web-based code-review tool (see Code Reviews with
Phabricator), by email on the relevant project’s commit mailing list, on
the project’s development list, or on the bug tracker." (without the "in
order of preference") up to the "post-commit review" section, instead of
referencing a version of it here.