[cfe-dev] [RFC] Clearing Clang AST before running backend optimizations/codegen to save memory

David Blaikie via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Sep 17 16:41:20 PDT 2021

I think it'd be unfortunate if certain features don't work in this mode,
unless we understand why/are pretty sure that's a fairly fundamental
limitation. For instance, at Google we've got memory limitations (hence the
motivation for this work) and I think we created, or at least have some
interest in -Rpass - if -Rpass couldn't be composed with this feature, then
we'd make it harder to investigate performance issues (because -Rpass
wouldn't be available) in larger compiles that need this memory savings to
fit into the memory limits we have. I'd guess the issue is that -Rpass I
think traffics in Clang source locations. So it's possible the source
location infrastructure/data structures would have to be kept, even though
the AST/semantic pieces could be torn down. (unless that source location
stuff can refer into ASTs for differentiating template specializations, etc
- that'd be the tipping point for me in "OK, it may be worth the benefit to
make these incompatible, or reduce the quality of -Rpass diagnostics when
using this memory saving technique" - wonder if it's only the -Rpass
diagnostics, or other backend diagnostics that use that infrastructure)

Which is to say I'd be /slightly/ averse to adding this feature as a Clang
default or driver flag (& similarly averse to leaving it as a cc1
off-by-default flag indefinitely) without a pretty good answer to those
crashing/non-functioning tests.

(lower priority, but fairly nice-to-have would be some answer to the
cleaning up issues, -disable-free, etc - sort of weird that we'd have to
/disable-free/ to enable freeing things earlier... that seems pretty
suspicious)

but if those issues can be resolved