[cfe-dev] Rotten Green Tests project

James Henderson via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Mar 1 00:32:22 PST 2021

The overall concept seems interesting to me. Anything that helps reduce
problems in tests that could obscure bugs etc is worth a good
consideration, in my opinion.

On Fri, 26 Feb 2021 at 18:47, via cfe-dev <cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Well... actually... it is ON by default; however, I turn it off in
> lit.  So, if you run `check-llvm` or use `llvm-lit` to run unittests,
> they won't report rotten green tests.  However, if you run a program
> directly, it will report them (and cause the test program to exit with
> a failure status).  This seemed like a reasonable balance that would
> make RGT useful while developing a test, without interfering with
> automation.
>
> When writing googletest unit tests, I almost always run the test
executable directly. This is because it's by far the easiest way to run the
test and debug in Visual Studio ("Set startup project" -> F5). I wouldn't
be happy if this started showing up false test failures in some form or
other, unless someone can point at an equally simple way of doing the same
thing.

James