[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] put "str" in __attribute__((annotate("str"))) to dwarf

David Blaikie via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jun 14 20:29:49 PDT 2021

On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 7:52 PM Y Song <ys114321 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 6:44 PM David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 4:54 PM David Rector <davrecthreads at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>

> >> On Jun 14, 2021, at 5:33 PM, Y Song via cfe-dev <cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 1:25 PM David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>

> >> On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 12:25 PM Y Song <ys114321 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>

> >> On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 9:59 AM Alexei Starovoitov
> >> <alexei.starovoitov at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>

> >> On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 07:17:32AM -0400, Aaron Ballman wrote:
> >>
> >> On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 8:47 PM Alexei Starovoitov
> >> <alexei.starovoitov at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>

> >> On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 12:42 PM David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>

> >> Any suggestions/preferences for the spelling, Aaron?
> >>

> >> I don't know this domain particularly well, so takes these suggestions
> >> with a giant grain of salt:
> >>
> >> If the concept is specific to DWARF and you don't think it'll need to
> >> extend into other debug formats, you could go with `dwarf_annotate`.
> >> If it's not really a DWARF thing but is more about B[P|T]F, then
> >> `btf_annotate`  or `bpf_annotate` could work, but those may be a bit
> >> mysterious to folks outside of the domain. If it's a generic debug
> >> info concept, probably `debug_info_annotate` or something.
> >>

> >> Arguably it can/could be a generic debug info or dwarf thing, but for
> now we don't have any use for it other than to squirrel info along to
> BTF/BPF so I'm on the fence about which prefix to use exactly
> >>

> >> A bit more bike shedding colors...
> >>
> >> The __rcu and __user annations might be used by the clang itself
> eventually.
> >> Currently the "sparse" tool is doing this analysis and warns users
> >> when __rcu pointer is incorrectly accessed in the kernel C code.
> >> If clang can do that directly that could be a huge selling point
> >> for folks to switch from gcc to clang for kernel builds.
> >> The front-end would treat such annotations as arbitrary string, but
> >> special "building-linux-kernel-pass" would interpret the semantical
> context.
> >>

> >> Are __rcu and __user annotations notionally distinct things from bpf
> >> (and perhaps each other as well)? Distinct enough that it would make
> >> sense to use a different attribute name for user source for each need?
> >> I suspect the answer is yes given that the existing annotations have
> >> their own names which are distinct, but I don't know this domain
> >> enough to be sure.
> >>

> >> __rcu and __user don't overlap. __rcu is not a single annotation though.
> >> It's a combination of annotations in pointers, functions, macros.
> >> Some functions have:
> >> __acquires(rcu)
> >> another function might have:
> >> __acquires(rcu_bh)
> >> There are several flavors of the RCU in the kernel.
> [...]

Do you need to support multiple distinct __attribute__((XXX("stuff"))) on
one entity? If so, maybe it's worth considering how to encode them
separately, rather than having the frontend have to concatenate them
together?

One option would be to support multiple of the same attribute on the DIE in
question - though that's probably still difficult to encode in the LLVM IR
metadata (we don't have any repeating fields in the LLVM IR debug info
metadata) - which, maybe comes back to the idea of having the frontend
concatenate all the attributes together with some separator like ";".