[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] put "str" in __attribute__((annotate("str"))) to dwarf

Y Song via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jun 14 19:51:59 PDT 2021

On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 6:44 PM David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> ===
>> Arguably it can/could be a generic debug info or dwarf thing, but for
>> now we don't have any use for it other than to squirrel info along to
>> BTF/BPF so I'm on the fence about which prefix to use exactly
>> ===
>>
>> and suggests since it might be used in the future for non-bpf things,
>> maybe the name could be a little more generic then bpf-specific.
>>
>> Do you have any suggestions on what name to pick?
>>

>> Nah, not especially. bpf_tag sounds OK-ish to me if it suits you.
>>

>> The more generic the better IMO.  And, the less the need to parse string literals the better.
>>
>> Why not simply `__attribute__((debuginfo("arg1", "arg2", ...)))`, e.g.:
>>
>> ```
>> #define BPF_TAG(...) __attribute__((debuginfo("bpf", __VA_ARGS__)))
>> struct foo {
>>  void * BPF_TAG("ptr","rcu","bh") ptr;
>> };
>> #define BPF_RCU_TAG(PFX, ...) BPF(PFX, "rcu", __VA_ARGS__)
>> int bar(int) BPF_RCU_TAG("acquires","bh") { ... }
>> int baz(int) BPF_RCU_TAG("releases","bh") { ... }
>> int qux(int) BPF_RCU_TAG("acquires","sched") { ... }
>> ```
>

> Unless Paul & Adrian, etc chime in in agreement of a more general name, like 'debuginfo', I'm inclined to avoid that/go with something bpf specific until there's a broader use case/proposal, something we might be able to/want to encourage GCC to support too. Otherwise we're taking a pretty broad attribute name & choosing its behavior when we don't necessarily have a lot of leverage if GCC ends up using that name for something else.
>
> & as for separate strings - maybe, but I'm not sure what that'll look like in the resulting DWARF, what sort of form would you propose using to encode that? (same question below \/)
>

>> Sounds good. I will use "bpf_tag" as the starting point now.
>> Also, it is possible "bpf_tag" may appear multiple times for the same
>> function, declaration etc.
>>
>> For example,
>>  #define __bpf_tag(s) __attribute__((bpf_tag(s)))
>>  int g __bpf_tag("str1") __bpf_tag("str2");
>> Let us say we introduced a LLVM vendor tag DWARF_AT_LLVM_bpf_tag.
>>
>> How do you want the above to be represented in dwarf?
>>
>> My current scheme is to put all bpf_tag's in a string, separated by ",".
>> This will make things simpler. So the final output will be
>>     DWARF_AT_LLVM_bpf_tag  "str1,str2"
>> I may need to do a discussion with the kernel folks to use a different
>> delimiter than ",", but we still represent all tags with ONE string.
>>
>> But alternatively, it could be represented as a list of strings like
>>   DWARF_AT_LLVM_bpf_tag
>>             "str1"
>>             "str2"
>> is similar to DWARF_AT_location.
>

> What DWARF form were you thinking of using for this? There isn't a built in form that provides encoding for multiple delimited/separated strings that I know of.

Actually I have not looked at the details on how to implement multiple
separated strings yet. Since you are mentioning there exists no such a
built-in form and the attribute is bpf specific, I will then just go
to one string only approach (e.g. "str1;str2" where ";" is the
delimiter). I just checked linux:include/linux/compiler_*.h, it is
possible "," may appear in some attributes, so I will use ";" as the
delimiter. Thanks for the clarification!