[cfe-dev] Oldest supported libstdc++

David Blaikie via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Apr 16 14:26:25 PDT 2021

On Fri, Apr 16, 2021 at 2:10 PM Richard Smith <richard at metafoo.co.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Apr 2021 at 13:27, David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Was there any oldest supported libstdc++ version previously documented?
>

> I think this might be the only place we talk about it: https://clang.llvm.org/docs/Toolchain.html#libstdc-gnu
>
> "Clang supports a wide range of versions of libstdc++, from around version 4.2 onwards, and will implicitly work around some bugs in older versions of libstdc++."
>
>> How's this compare (is there any insight to be gained by such
>> comparison?) with the oldest supported gcc?
>

> Do you mean the oldest GCC that we support as a host compiler? That's GCC 5.1 (https://llvm.org/docs/GettingStarted.html#host-c-toolchain-both-compiler-and-standard-library), so bumping our minimum libstdc++ to 4.9 brings these closer together.

yeah, though fair point that it's a pretty significant distinction
between what you need to compile LLVM versus what you need to run/link
to LLVM, so it's not a huge indicator of much. But good to know.

Agreed re: Google. Not sure about the issue Erich mentions re: Redhat.
it's a long time to keep these workarounds around... though not sure
how much they cost us to keep either. Doesn't seem likely to be hugely
costly?