[cfe-dev] Oldest supported libstdc++

Richard Smith via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Apr 16 14:10:05 PDT 2021

On Fri, 16 Apr 2021 at 13:27, David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> wrote:

> Was there any oldest supported libstdc++ version previously documented?

I think this might be the only place we talk about it:
https://clang.llvm.org/docs/Toolchain.html#libstdc-gnu

"Clang supports a wide range of versions of libstdc++, from around version
4.2 onwards, and will implicitly work around some bugs in older versions of
libstdc++."

How's this compare (is there any insight to be gained by such
> comparison?) with the oldest supported gcc?

Do you mean the oldest GCC that we support as a host compiler? That's GCC
5.1 (
https://llvm.org/docs/GettingStarted.html#host-c-toolchain-both-compiler-and-standard-library),
so bumping our minimum libstdc++ to 4.9 brings these closer together.

On Fri, Apr 16, 2021 at 1:01 PM Nathan Sidwell via cfe-dev
> <cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> >
> > I came across a couple of clang workarounds for old libstdc++ issues.
> > One of them seems good for removal, by documenting the oldest supported
> > libstdc++ as 4.9, which is what https://reviews.llvm.org/D100465 does.
> >
> > The other is more recent, and proposing to keep that (see
> > https://reviews.llvm.org/D100469)

Here are a few more that we may be able to remove:

https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/blob/main/clang/lib/Parse/ParseDecl.cpp#L6568
https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/blob/main/clang/lib/Sema/SemaTemplateInstantiateDecl.cpp#L859
https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/blob/main/clang/lib/Sema/SemaTemplateInstantiateDecl.cpp#L1524