[cfe-dev] Introduction and Help Request for Scan, Parse, Codegen

David Blaikie via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 21 14:54:39 PDT 2020

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 11:11 AM Allyn Shell via cfe-dev <
cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Greetings, my name is Allyn Shell I am the instructor of the Compiler
> Design with LLVM course at Johns Hopkins University Engineering for
> Professionals in the CS Department. (I have included my short bio as an
> introduction at the end of this email.)

Welcome to the LLVM community!

(for context I mostly work on LLVM's Debug Info (DWARF) support - so I
won't know everything about what you need to know, but I'll try to give
some rough ideas, at least)

 I spent the last two years updating the Compiler Design course to include
> LLVM

Sounds great!

> which required me to learn “everything” about the LLVM Project. There are
> several difficult steps that I could not overcome in two years of studying
> LLVM. I am writing to request help from the community to fill in these
> missing points which basically involve using clang to create a compiler for
> an imperative C like language (for teaching students how to do this).

Is Clang the right foundation for this, rather than LLVM? Clang is pretty
complicated by the needs of a production-focussed C++ compiler, and might
not be the best place to go tinkering to add new language support.

> It is easy to create a scanner and a parser using public domain tools, but
> when I reached the codegen to LLVM’s IR I quickly ran out of good guidance.
> The biggest help came from the LLVM Tutorials, but they are a little
> shallow and a little hard to follow at times due to what appears to be
> generations of updates.

Yep, documentation's rarely kept up to date or revisited wholesale to give
it consistent polish, etc.

If there's any particular bits you think might be improved - patches for
the documentation are most appreciated so the next person might have an
easier time than you did.

>  Are there LLVM based tools available to make the transition from AST to
> IR, and where do I find them?

Generic tools for custom AST to IR? Nothing I know of. The closest to
"tooling" that exists, certainly inside the LLVM project itself, is
IRBuilder - a helper API for building LLVM IR.

>  Is the transition between AST and IR mapped in a way that is compatible
> with the mappings used for debug and the IR to Machine Specific Object
> Code?

I'm not sure I understand the question, could you rephrase it? Myself and
Eric Christopher presented a tutorial at the LLVM developers meeting
several years ago about how to generate LLVM IR that includes debug
information that is then used by LLVM's middle (IR optimizations) and
backend (Machine Specific Object Code generation) to create DWARF (or
Windows CodeView) debug information, usable by a debugger like gdb, etc.

> Where can I find that information?

The written version of that tutorial is here:
https://llvm.org/docs/tutorial/MyFirstLanguageFrontend/LangImpl09.html

> Is there an LLVM specific scanner/parser pair that integrates with the AST
> to IR mapping?

Nope - LLVM doesn't really offer anything above the IR. Some utilities
(like IRBuilder and DIBuilder) to help create it - but what you use to
create it is entirely up to you.