[cfe-dev] Implementing cppcoreguideline "avoid non-const global variables"

Kim Viggedal via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Oct 20 02:43:12 PDT 2019

Hi, I'm writing for the first time to this mailing list and hoping to be
able to make some contributions to clang tidy in the future. I'm a bit
excited
!
I wanted to learn how to write clang checks for clang tidy and I figured a
good start would be to see if there are any simple checks missing from cpp
core guidelines. I couldn't find an implementation for this check:
https://github.com/isocpp/CppCoreGuidelines/blob/master/CppCoreGuidelines.md#Ri-global

-and so I assumed that it was needed and it seemed like a good check for a
beginning clang tidy contributor.

I have started work on the implementation but I haven't tested it much and
I haven't written the unit test so  I'm not ready for a review, however I
figured it would still be good to check in with the mailing list to confirm
that the check actually isn't implemented somewhere else or currently being
worked on by someone else.

Also  I thought that by bringing this up now I might find an appropriate
reviewer for my patch once it is ready for review, provided it is a
reasonable change and something to continue working on.

Am I on a good track or should I use a different approach for starting to
contribute clang tidy checks?

--
/Kim Viggedal