[cfe-dev] The name of clang/lib/Tooling/Refactoring

Sam McCall via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri May 24 09:57:13 PDT 2019

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 6:28 PM Nico Weber <thakis at chromium.org> wrote:

> On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 4:34 AM Ilya Biryukov <ibiryukov at google.com>
> wrote:
>
>> While I personally like consistent naming myself, I'd prefer to be
>> conservative with this one and avoid changing something that is not broken
>> for other reasons and was like this for years.
>>

> I find this kind of argument not very convincing. See e.g. the first 7
> slides of
> https://www.usenix.org/sites/default/files/conference/protected-files/srecon17americas_slides_reese.pdf
>
> We've renamed many libraries to increase consistency, and we know from
> experience it's a pretty safe thing to do.

I've dealt with the fallout from one of these renames recently - we
silently lost some changes during a (non-git, non-svn) merge.
The unsafeness of it may not be visible from upstream LLVM :-)

If we do rename, do folks prefer:

> 1. Renaming the directory to lib/clang/Tooling/Refactor. Requires updating
> all #include lines referring to it, and updating a handful of CMake files.
>
> 2. Renaming the library to clangToolingRefactoring. Requires updating all
> cmake files adding a dependency to use the new library name.

Renaming the library is a less invasive change, less likely to screw with
out-of-tree modifications, pending patches, other build systems.
So unless anyone has a strong opinion on what the better name is (I don't),
I'd prefer #2.