[cfe-dev] The name of clang/lib/Tooling/Refactoring

Nico Weber via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri May 24 09:28:12 PDT 2019

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 4:34 AM Ilya Biryukov <ibiryukov at google.com> wrote:

> While I personally like consistent naming myself, I'd prefer to be
> conservative with this one and avoid changing something that is not broken
> for other reasons and was like this for years.

I find this kind of argument not very convincing. See e.g. the first 7
slides of
https://www.usenix.org/sites/default/files/conference/protected-files/srecon17americas_slides_reese.pdf

We've renamed many libraries to increase consistency, and we know from
experience it's a pretty safe thing to do.

If we do rename, do folks prefer:

1. Renaming the directory to lib/clang/Tooling/Refactor. Requires updating
all #include lines referring to it, and updating a handful of CMake files.

2. Renaming the library to clangToolingRefactoring. Requires updating all
cmake files adding a dependency to use the new library name.