[cfe-dev] Varying per function optimisation based on include path?

via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Aug 20 06:41:43 PDT 2019

> In -Og mode, it seems that it would equally make sense to take "a very big
> slice around system headers specifically to avoid" debug symbols for code
> that users can't debug.

Our users seem to like to be able to dump their STL containers, which definitely requires debug symbols for "code they can't debug."
OTOH being able to more aggressively optimize system-header code even in –Og mode seems reasonable.
OTOOH most of the system-header code is templates or otherwise inlineable early, and after inlining the distinction between app and sys code really goes away.

So, I see this as something that you could find interesting to play around with, but seems unlikely to have much practical effect.
--paulr