[cfe-dev] RFC: Pumping Clang-Tidy warnings through the Static Analyzer's BugReporter.

Christian Gagneraud via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Aug 14 05:43:46 PDT 2019

On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 at 14:16, Aaron Ballman via cfe-dev
<cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 3:24 AM Dmitri Gribenko via cfe-dev
> <cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Artem,
> >
> > On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 5:00 AM Artem Dergachev <noqnoqneo at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > As i've been vaguely hinting on EuroLLVM, i plan to invest some time in
> > > decreasing the gap between Clang-Tidy users and Static Analyzer users
> > > and make sure it's always possible for our users to take the best of
> > > both worlds. In particular, i'd like to make Clang-Tidy easily
> > > integratable into all UIs that already integrate the Static Analyzer.
> >
> > I like the idea of integrating the two tools more closely. From the
> > user's point of view, I think, ClangTidy and Clang Static Analyzer are
> > doing more or less the same thing, but somehow have completely
> > different workflows and integrations.
>
> Strong +1 from me!

Same here, there are other tools around that might benefit from that,
eg. clazy, and any other custom tools.

> > Long-term, my preference would be to have all static analysis tooling
> > (Clang Static Analyzer, ClangTidy, any prospective dataflow-based
> > analysis) to have a consistent UI -- including invocation, integration
> > with build systems, configuration strategy etc. While the
> > implementation of these tools is very different, I think the audience
> > is largely the same.
>
> I think this is a good goal.

Same comment again, would  be nice if the command line, and
configuration file handling could be shared and consistent b/w similar
tooling (clazy, custom, ...)