[cfe-dev] ASTContext::getParents discussion

Rafael·Stahl via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Apr 8 01:49:04 PDT 2019

Thanks for your comments!

Yes I understand that it would be my responsibility to manage a Parent
Map if I were to mutate the AST, but in that case I'm just a checker
user and the CTU mutates the AST via the ASTImporter during analysis.

The use-case is that I just classify a more complex expression, where
the analyzer callback argument is only a child node. To walk upwards I
use ASTContext::getParents, which builds the Parent Map for the entire
TU. When after that a new function gets imported the map will be missing
the Stmts in that function.

A good suggestion from you is to use function-scoped parent maps or the
ones from AnalysisDeclContext. This seems to solve my issue, thanks!

In that case I will drop the patch, because of a misuse of
ASTContext::getParents. Still, you have to know all this and for some
checker user it might not even be obvious that CTU mutates the AST. So I
would agree that getParents should probably be moved out of ASTContext.
Would likely break a lot of user code though.

-Rafael