[cfe-dev] ASTContext::getParents discussion

Artem Dergachev via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Apr 7 19:07:57 PDT 2019

Hmm, i guess that generally it is a problem, if your algorithm mutates
the AST, you'll have to deal with stale parent maps somehow and do
sophisticated caching, and it's likely that nobody has ever developed a
reliable solution to this.

But i don't immediately understand your specific use case. What sort of
AST nodes does your checker check? If it's statements within a function
body, why do they get mutated when an import of an unrelated function
occurs? Are you using the per-function parent maps (such as the ones
that live in AnalysisDeclContext), or are you trying to construct a
single ParentMap for the whole AST? If you're checking declarations, why
aren't you using DeclContext chains instead of parent maps?

Generally, are you using CTU in a manner that's more sophisticated than
what normal path-sensitive CTU does? I.e., not only bring in function
bodies, but also inject arbitrary stuff into arbitrary stuff?