[cfe-dev] [Clang] [NFC] Minor code style cleanup in Clang's codebase.

via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Sep 18 05:26:15 PDT 2018

Hi Kristina,

I believe in general the community frowns on "gratuitous" formatting
changes, meaning don't go looking for places to change for no other
reason than the formatting or other stylistic things aren't great.
Basically, it clutters the commit history and makes "archaeology"
harder.

If it's an immediate followup to tidy a commit you made yourself,
that's fine, because the commits will be adjacent in the history
and that's not an archaeological problem.  But as noted in the
review, it's always better to use clang-format (or at least do what
clang-format would have done).  There's also the clang-format-diff
tool, which keeps new style problems from creeping in with a patch.

Another thing people will do is clang-format an entire module that
they are about to *start* significant work on, because then the
functional patches are easier to review.  But it sounds like that's
not what you are asking about.

HTH,
--paulr