[cfe-dev] [analyzer] Project to output SARIF

Artem Dergachev via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Sep 17 14:36:31 PDT 2018

Hmm, this looks useful. I'd love to see how we perform compared to other
tools and have a look at interesting false negatives that such
comparison would be able to find, though i understand that this sort of
comparisons are hard because different tools may report the same bug in
different manners, on different lines of code, with different warnings
and notes, so even if they provide it in the same format, matching them
to each other automatically may be hard.

Analyzer outputs are implemented by PathDiagnosticConsumer sub-classes,
and it should be fairly straightforward to add a new sub-class. You need
to handle different "diagnostic pieces" (events along the path,
directions on how does the path run through the program, etc.) Please
let us know if you think that the class is not receiving enough info to
fill in everything you want to provide - we could probably provide it.

As far as I understand, you want to eventually upstream your work. In
this case I encourage you to start as early as possible (i.e., even if
it's an empty implementation that emits empty files), by posting early
prototypes on our Phabricator and then adding incremental patches on top
of it, rather than wait until your code is finished. Essentially, LLVM
development policy promotes run-time flags as branches and discourages
huge pull-requests from distant forks because otherwise it's relatively
easy to take a wrong turn. We'll be able to consult you on what do all
these notes and events mean or on other stuff of ours. There have been
recent changes in how consumers are handled, so please make sure you
work with a recent clang.