[cfe-dev] [analyzer] The use of tblgen in the analyzer

Kristóf Umann via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 17 12:57:00 PDT 2018

+ Dániel Krupp

Another idea I was thinking is

1. To be able to dump all analyzer configs in a JSON (or yaml, whatever)
file, and similarly, be able to read such a config file.

2. The use of Optional is impactical. We lazily evaluate every option the
user supplied only when is asked for. Instead, we could do the evaluation
when the cmd line options are parsed, at which point we can also check for
wrong input (like whether string options have typos, or flag X won't do a
thing when flag Y isn't set) since we have access to a DiagnosticsEngine.

3. Remove getBooleanOption, getOptionAsString, etc, and only provide
general option getters for checkers, in order to support shared lib
checkers. This would force anyone who'd like add a flag to actually
register it properly. I'm already trying to come up a neat solution to
neatly handle checker options.

I've wasted more time on making a typos in config flags than I'd like to
admit, so I'm super motivated to make a much stricter version of
AnalyzerOptions. While keeping backward compatibility, of course.

Argyrios Kyrtzidis <akyrtzi at gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2018. okt. 13.,
Szo, 0:45):

> On Oct 7, 2018, at 11:26 AM, Kristóf Umann via cfe-dev <
> cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
> I have two questions about this topic.
>
> 1. Checker registration:
>
> I am in the process of updating clang-analyzer.llvm.org, and as I went
> through the checkers that were missing, I encountered this:
>
> def NonnullGlobalConstantsChecker: Checker<"NonnilStringConstants">,
>   HelpText<"Assume that const string-like globals are non-null">,
>   DescFile<"NonilStringConstantsChecker.cpp">;
>
> What is particularly interesting here (other than the mismatched names),
> is that NonilStringConstantsChecker.cpp doesn't exist, in fact it never
> did. To my greatest surprise, DescFile isn't used anywhere!
>
> #define CHECKER(FULLNAME,CLASS,DESCFILE,HELPTEXT,GROUPINDEX,HIDDEN) \
> registry.addChecker(register##CLASS, FULLNAME, HELPTEXT);
>
> So, is there a point in keeping DescFile entries?
>

> Just to give some context for ‘DescFile', the intention of this was to
> point to a file that we could use to add detailed documentation for a
> checker with a specific format, think of something like extensive doxygen
> documentation, and a tool would be able to extract such detailed
> documentation from the source files and render them in another format, like
> html pages for clang-analyzer.llvm.org.
>
> However, this never materialized and it’s useless now.

Thanks! That actually sounds neat, we had a few conversations in the office
about auto-generating the website, like clang-tidy, so I'm not a hurry to
remove these just yet.