[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] [GSOC 2018] Information gathering

Eric Christopher via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Mar 15 08:33:53 PDT 2018

Hi Paul,

> >> I'm also interested in the command line replacements for GNU Binutils :
> >>
> >> - What tools would you like to replace in priority ?
> >> - Does this subject imply to add options/features to some of the
> >> tools, or is it only about handling command line ?

I just replied with this in another thread:

"It's currently still available. The basic idea is that we'd be working on
getting each of the llvm tools or libraries with a front end that is
command line compatible with the GNU binutils counterpart to serve as a
replacement. Whether or not we made them output compatible is something
else, but we'll probably want to have a couple different modes there from:

a) The compatible tool,
b) The tool we all want.

A and B could be the same, but then again, they might not. The low bar for
the SoC project is going to be A."

And in priority order I'd probably want to finish off objcopy support (see
the recent thread on llvm-dev) and objdump/readobj/readelf and then go from
there.

Thoughts?

-eric