[cfe-dev] [clangd] Newcomers guide

Eric Liu via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jul 31 02:52:31 PDT 2018

+clangd-dev at lists.llvm.org <clangd-dev at lists.llvm.org>

Hi Balogh, welcome to clangd! ;)

On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 9:46 AM Balogh Tamas via cfe-dev <
cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I try to explore clangd, especially clangd - jump to definition but I am
> bit stuck. I don’t know how to start it.

> As far as I know for this feature I need to start clangd with a special
> ‘index.yml’ file, how can I generate it?

Note that the yaml symbol table is experimental only, but if you want to
try it out, you can use global-symbol-builder
<https://github.com/llvm-mirror/clang-tools-extra/blob/master/clangd/global-symbol-builder/GlobalSymbolBuilderMain.cpp>
generate the yaml symbol table. Eventually, we would like to switch to
index-while-build (when it's landed) as a source of clangd symbol data.

> When clangd is running can I change this yml file? Can clangd dynamically
> reload it?

Currently, the static index (e.g. yaml index on a codebase) is only loaded
once in the beginning of a clangd instance. The assumption was that clangd
instance is restarted more frequently than the updates of static index.
clangd also has dynamic index which indexes the open/active files in a
clangd session and acts as an overlay on top of the possibly stale static
index. But I can see how reloading static index in clangd can be useful,
especially when we have index-while-build in the future.

I'm interested in your use case for reloading static index. Would you mind
elaborating it a bit?

Cheers,
Eric