[cfe-dev] [UBSan] Is static linking supported?

David Greene via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Aug 23 10:59:46 PDT 2018

According to Reid Kleckner over on llvm-dev sanitizers will not work at
all with a statically-linked libc, as the interceptors use dlsym to set
up calls to sigaction and the like.  That matched my findings while
debugging the problem we're seeing.  If sanitizers are supposed to work
with static linking, then it seems like the dependence on dlsym needs to
be broken.

Otherwise, the sanitizers should catch a nullptr return value from dlsym
and report a friendly user error message.  I can write a patch to do
that if it seems like a good idea.  Even when linking dynamically, it
would be good to check the return value of dlsym and report the error to
the user.

                           -David