[cfe-dev] Making Clang support UTF-16 input?

James Y Knight via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Aug 16 07:52:51 PDT 2018

On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 10:17 AM Hans Wennborg via cfe-dev <
cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> When trying out the new LLVM Visual Studio integration extension [1]
> that now supports VS 2017, we learned that at some point, VS changed
> the editor to encode new project files as utf-16 by default [2].

It looks like that is only the case for the pre-created files as part of
the project (not new files you create yourself), and is (now) being
properly considered a bug. "[Jul 29 at 10:23 PM] We are so sorry for you
are experience, We have changed the state of the feedback and also we
tracked the issue with a active bug. Thanks for making VS better."

Since Clang doesn't support utf-16 input, this creates a bad

experience for users trying out Clang on a new Visual Studio project

Since that's due to VS doing something silly, which seems likely to be
fixed soon...

 Should we make Clang support utf-16 input?

...I'd say it's not really worth the bother.