[cfe-dev] Incomplete binary distribution windows

Hans Wennborg via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Aug 8 10:41:03 PDT 2018

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 5:39 PM, Zachary Turner <zturner at google.com> wrote:
> I can theorize that perhaps what breaks is that if you have an old VS
> integration + LLVM installed, then install a new LLVM, the old VS
> integration will not be able to find the new clang-cl.exe.

The old VS integration would also have been uninstalled in that case.

> I don't have a
> good idea on how to address this off the top of my head except perhaps to
> create the msbuild-bin folder but put a DEPRECATED.TXT file in there so
> people will find it.
>
> The other problem though is that the new VS integration only works with >=
> 2017, so if someone can't upgrade for some reason, this would still be a
> problem for them.  Perhaps we could continue copying the main executable
> there for backwards compatibility?

We'd need to keep installing the old integrations also, and I don't
think we want to keep them around. I think the new extension also
supports VS 2015, at least it installs for it but I didn't actually
try the integration there. Supporting 2017 and 2015 is probably
enough.

Let's hear from degski what his reason for needing msbuild-bin/cl.exe was.

Maybe we should just put a bigger note on the download page that the
old integration is gone and people need to get the new one.