[cfe-dev] RFC: Adding index-while-building support to Clang

Nathan Hawes via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 18 06:25:02 PDT 2017

> On Sep 18, 2017, at 1:54 PM, Marc-André Laperle <marc-andre.laperle at ericsson.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> This was asked before, but what would be the process in getting liblmdb in clang-tools-extra? I've started prototyping with it and it is quite useful and small. I had a small library (ClangdIndexDataStorage + BTree) filling the same role before and I *think* I'll be able to fully replace it with liblmdb.
>
> One concern I had with the library at first is that because it uses memory mapping, I was not clear to me how we could control its memory usage. But I had in mind a single DB that included *everything*, i.e. all symbols, occurrences. After reading the index-while-building proposal, I like the idea of producing record and units and have a mapping referring to to those.
>
> There is a part of the proposal that I want to make sure I understood: "Background indexing still occurs with this setup, but instead of being based on a call to libclang, is achieved by invoking Clang with both the -index-store-path option and -fsyntax-only". I assuming this background indexing by invoking 'clang -index-store-path -fsyntax-only' is mainly for a scenario were a unit has not been built yet?

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you here.
Right, it’s for getting index data for source that hasn’t ever been built and for updating the index data of source files that have been modified since the last build.

> What are the next steps in upstreaming this "index-while-building" support? I think it makes perfect sense for Clangd to use this support and use a similar indexing strategy. I think there's a nice opportunity for collaboration.

I’ve just put a patch up for review with the -index-store-path option for writing out the record and unit files, and libIndexStore (for reading it):

https://reviews.llvm.org/D39050 <https://reviews.llvm.org/D39050>

We’re also now working towards open sourcing a basic indexer service built on top of libIndexStore (using LMDB to persist the mappings for efficient lookup of index records) along with simple plugins for the vim, emacs and sublime editors. I’ll hopefully have something for you all to look at in the next few weeks.

Cheers,
Nathan