[cfe-dev] libclang support for Matchers

Manuel Klimek via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Nov 30 23:05:26 PST 2017

On Thu, Nov 30, 2017, 8:13 PM Jonathan Coe <jonathanbcoe at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 30 Nov 2017, at 16:20, Manuel Klimek <klimek at google.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 5:17 PM Jonathan Coe <jonathanbcoe at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Does the marchers API offer the stability that libclang tries to provide?
>> If not, exposing marchers will be tough
>>

> As the dynamic matchers use strings, what stability concerns do you have?
>

> Will the supported strings be stable?

Reasonably so, but not libclang C API style backwards compatible forever.
The question is how much that matters to libclang users (I honestly have no
idea). C API stability seems to be obviously more important, as it can just
crash a program. The worst thing with a wrong string here is that you'll
get an error back.