[cfe-dev] [RFC] Attribute that can be used to instruct clang to pass and return non-trivial structs directly

Richard Smith via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Nov 17 17:46:25 PST 2017

On 16 November 2017 at 10:09, David Blaikie via cfe-dev <
cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 8:09 PM John McCall <rjmccall at apple.com> wrote:
>
>> On Nov 15, 2017, at 10:45 PM, David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 11:56 AM Richard Smith <richard at metafoo.co.uk>
>> wrote:

>>> It's in a somewhat non-obvious place on the website: http://clang.llvm.
>>> org/get_involved.html
>>>

>> Ah, thanks! I kept getting search results listing that page & figured it
>> was a false positive... I should've looked more closely.
>>
>> Sounds like (4) is the only sticky one - and I guess this would be partly
>> the C++ standards committee and the Itanium ABI group. (perhaps this is
>> worth a discussion/proposal on the latter - to avoid anything like the
>> abi_tag difficulties (which I only have a vague sense of)?)
>>

>> I'm not quite sure what connection you're drawing here.  In this case, I
>> think (4) is satisfied because Apple is promising to maintain the feature,
>> as we will have internal clients that will rely on it — although it sounds
>> like enough other people are interested in it that that really won't be a
>> problem.
>>

> Ah, sorry, I didn't mean to refer to (4) in your list, but (4) in the list
> on "Contributing Extensions to Clang" here: http://clang.llvm.org/
> get_involved.html
>
> Which says fairly unambiguously: "the extension itself must have an
> active proposal and proponent within that committee and have a reasonable
> chance of acceptance. ... This criterion does not apply to all extensions,
> since some extensions fall outside of the realm of the standards bodies."
>
> It sounds like this bullet point could just be softened a little somehow
> to accommodate this situation?
>
> Or maybe it does apply & we should make a point of bringing it up to the
> Itanium ABI group?

I think it would make a lot of sense to talk about this extension in the
Itanium C++ ABI, in the same way we talk about the abi_tag attribute. (And
I would consider such documentation to be a prerequisite for using the
attribute in libc++, having learned from our experiences with abi_tag,
where we were on the other side of a vendor extension necessary for ABI
compatibility with a target's standard library.)

> (I think since the only surface area in C++ is an attribute, and C++ has
> syntax entirely designed for extensibility here, there's no immediate need
> to bring it up there - it'd barely be meaningful to standardize it since
> it's such an implementation detail, I'd guess... - though I suppose the
> contract is useful "this type doesn't care about where its bits are in
> memory" is probably a generically useful property to discuss in the C++
> standard, but easy to move from custom attribute to standard attribute, etc)

I actually think it would make some sense to standardize this. It's really
unfortunate that unique_ptr<T> imposes an unnecessary abstraction penalty,
and providing a way to avoid that seems very much in scope for
standardization to me. (It's also not unprecedented; at the previous
meeting EWG approved a [[no_unique_address]] attribute for providing the
EBO layout rules for data members).