[cfe-dev] Newcomer to Clangd

Daniel Martín via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun May 21 09:22:03 PDT 2017

Yes, I'm aware of irony-mode, YCM, Rtags, etc. The problem is that they
are more or less constantly reinventing the wheel, and also use
different protocol formats. The consequence of this is that you
typically have to install RTags for cross references and irony/YCM for
autocompletion. And after that, you might feel the necessity to create
"just another tool" to make those components talk to each other and to
the build system (see cmake-ide, for example). This clearly does not
scale well and would not let us avoid clunky C++ support outside of
major IDEs anytime soon.

I think Clangd, which is based on a well-documented protocol that is
gaining traction across the industry, is the way to go.

Regards,

Daniel Martín