[cfe-dev] Setting default dialect to C++11

Richard Smith via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 18 18:56:10 PDT 2017

On 18 May 2017 at 18:30, Tim Northover <t.p.northover at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3 March 2017 at 10:15, Richard Smith via cfe-dev
> <cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> > Would raising the language standard to C++14 cause problems for PS4 or
> MSVC?
> > Is the constraint there "at least C++11" (because, say, the system
> headers
> > are written in C++11) or "exactly C++11" (and if so, why?)?
>
> The recent Fortran thread in llvm-dev reminded me of this. We should
> get it done! We don't want to be sat here in 2067 defaulting to a
> language no-one has used for 50 years.

Agreed. I think there's sufficient (although not unanimous) agreement that
we should increase our default language standard; what we need is for
someone to work through the immediate fallout from doing so (particularly
in the test suite). Sooner is better: we need as much time as possible to
fix any issues uncovered prior to Clang 5. Sadly I don't have time to work
on this right now; volunteers would be very welcome!