[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] Sharing MemoryBuffers between front ends and LLVM

Hal Finkel via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Mar 16 17:44:14 PDT 2017

On 03/16/2017 07:36 PM, Mehdi Amini wrote:

>> On Mar 16, 2017, at 5:27 PM, Hal Finkel <hfinkel at anl.gov
>> <mailto:hfinkel at anl.gov>> wrote:

>>> Is there a patch up for review?
>>
>> https://reviews.llvm.org/D30898
>> https://reviews.llvm.org/D30897
>>
>>> I’m wondering how is the frontend enabling this interleaved output mode?
>>
>> I'm not sure this has been really discussed in the review yet
>> (although there certainly is a proposed mechanism in the patches).
>
> I wonder if the most straightforward way isn’t to leave the
> memorybuffer initialization up to the client, at the same place where
> the setting is (currently MCTargetOptions, not sure if it is the right
> place).
>
> To enable the ASMSource option, client would have to call something
> like  `MCTargetOptions::setAsmInterleavedSourceCode( Mode, Buffer);

I think you'd still need a callback, although you could certainly set it
this way too. The problem is that you potentially need buffers
corresponding to all files included by the main source file, not just
the main source file itself. You wouldn't want to open them all ahead of
time either because, besides being wasteful, you might run out of file
handles).

  -Hal

--
Hal Finkel