[cfe-dev] Setting default dialect to C++11

Tim Northover via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Mar 2 07:24:15 PST 2017

On 2 March 2017 at 04:01, Joerg Sonnenberger via cfe-dev
<cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 01, 2017 at 05:07:00PM -0800, Mehdi Amini via cfe-dev wrote:
> I somewhat disagree and that's why I didn't have a problem with the
> change. As long as we silently miscompile C++03 code when enabling C++11
> or later, I don't think it should be a general default.

And I think that would commit us to keep C++03 forever, which is
untenable. Further, I think expecting the minimal maintenance required
to add "-std=c++03" if a project needs it is not unreasonable.

I'd grudgingly delay the switch if someone came along with a real plan
to do that kind of upgrade on the things they cared about -- on a
specified timescale. But otherwise a sane default is more important
IMO.

Cheers.

Tim.