[cfe-dev] Setting default dialect to C++11

Joerg Sonnenberger via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Mar 2 04:01:50 PST 2017

On Wed, Mar 01, 2017 at 05:07:00PM -0800, Mehdi Amini via cfe-dev wrote:
> Right, I don’t think it is a good idea for clang as a project to have
> important default configuration flags that diverge between
> platform/target, like the default language. This is reducing portability
> and quite user hostile IMO.

I somewhat disagree and that's why I didn't have a problem with the
change. As long as we silently miscompile C++03 code when enabling C++11
or later, I don't think it should be a general default. In a somewhat
more restricted environment like the Playstation toolchain, they are in
a much better position to judge wether those miscompiles will be
triggered by their userbase or not.

Joerg