[cfe-dev] clang-cl.exe (32bit) dog slow, capping at ~16.5% CPU

David Blaikie via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 1 08:11:12 PDT 2017

On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 12:48 AM Hahnfeld, Jonas via cfe-dev <
cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> > cmake -G "MinGW Makefiles" \
>
>   -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=C:\LLVM \
>
>   -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug \
>
>   -DLLVM_ENABLE_ASSERTIONS=On \
>
>   -DLLVM_TARGETS_TO_BUILD=X86 \
>
>   -DLLVM_ENABLE_CXX1Y=On \
>
>   ../
>

> CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug will result in a non-optimized compiler. Although I
> don’t have numbers at hand, you might want to set CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release.

Also  -DLLVM_ENABLE_ASSERTIONS=On

The build system at some point had a warning informing users that this
might produce an order of magnitude (or more) slower compiler.

I'd suggest you keep an optimized and unoptimized compiler around. Though
even then, Hello World doesn't take me 10 seconds to compile... so maybe
there's other things going on. Sounds like you'd want one set of LLVM stuff
with all the debugging knobs turned on (exactly as you've built) & use that
with your frontend, and another, release build, for running clang, etc for
practical porpoises.