[cfe-dev] 2017 US LLVM Developers' Meeting - Registration Opening!

Hal Finkel via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Jul 2 02:10:16 PDT 2017

On 07/02/2017 02:33 AM, C Bergström via cfe-dev wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 2, 2017 at 5:45 AM, Philip Reames via cfe-dev
> <cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org <mailto:cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org>> wrote:
>
>     Joining in a bit late, but given the conversation which happened
>     down thread I want to make a point of saying this.
>
>     Tanya, thank you for all of the work you put into LLVM dev each
>     year.  I have greatly enjoyed the conference year after year and
>     get a lot out of attending.  It is currently the only tech
>     conference which I attend as a routine matter of course.  For an
>     event of it's size, the conference usually goes exceedingly smoothly.
>
>     I want to explicitly call out the work which has gone in to
>     keeping the conference accessible to all.  A $300 price is well
>     within budget for most of attendees, and the foundation has made
>     sure to offer reduced student and need based rates.  The focus on
>     doing that later bit says good things about the organization and
>     the folks involved in running it.  I know for that for me, the
>     benefits I receive by attending far outweigh the cost.
>
>     It is unfortunate that attendance has to be capped. It seems like
>     demand has increased a lot the last couple of years.  However, I
>     do want to call out the efforts which have gone into making most
>     of the content of the technical tracks available to a much wider
>     audience.  All of the effort to post recording of talks is
>     subsidized by the local attendees and the organizers have ensured
>     the content is available not too long after the conference.  That
>     is itself a huge investment in making the event accessible to
>     those who can't attend in person.
>
>     Tanya, one thing which might help prevent concerns like those
>     raised would be to have an open discussion of where the funds are
>     going.  Is there a publicly available budget document for last
>     years conference you can point to?
>

> I say this with a soft tone..
>
> I think it's very anti-open source to have foundations behind projects
> them with no or little transparency making decisions which seem more
> corporate focused. (It isn't to say it's wrong or not the right
> approach, but there's some philosophical "feelings" tied to it)

Can you elaborate on why the decisions seem "more corporate focused"? It
is not clear to me what you mean by that. As a member of the board, it
certainly doesn't feel "corporate focused" to me.

> transparency isn't only about where the money is spent.. It's about
> how decisions are made, how the secret board conducts things.. the
> meeting minutes. etc.. There's a time and place for discretion, but
> everything secret by default doesn't seem like the Right Way (tm)...

The meeting minutes are all publicly available:
http://llvm.org/foundation/documents/

  -Hal

Hal Finkel
Leadership Computing Facility