[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] Modernizing LLVM Coding Style Guide and enforcing Clang-tidy

Reid Kleckner via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jan 9 10:20:34 PST 2017

On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 7:25 AM, Piotr Padlewski via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

>> On 9 January 2017 at 14:17, Piotr Padlewski via cfe-dev
>> <cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>> > - prefer "using' instead of "typedef"
>> > - use default member initialization
>> > - use default, override, delete
>> > - skip "virtual" with override
>>
>> I thought we had all of those already...
>>
>> Nope, some people use it, but I still see a lot of new code with typedefs.
> I would like to have it written in style guide so it will be easier to
> convince to change in review.

The last two are enforced by compiler warnings now. The second is hard
because of bitfields.

I object to the first. If you need a new type name, use a typedef. It's
time honored and everyone, including C programmers, will know what you're
doing. I don't understand why people push the new thing just for the sake
of new-ness.