[cfe-dev] [RFC] Adding support for the flang toolchain

Hal Finkel via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Dec 20 18:35:11 PST 2017

On 12/20/2017 08:20 PM, xoviat wrote:
> Changes to user-facing command-line options for flang will be somewhat
> painful now and even more painful as we go along -- flang has already
> been integrated into some upstream build systems with the expectation
> that compiler options will not change. Having said that, changing the
> command-line interface may still be justified but I'd like to pin this
> down now so that we can avoid even more future pain.

We'll need to come up with a plan for the style of command-line options
and if/how to support other dialects. I'd recommend giving first
priority to gfortran-compatible flags, as that's likely most convenient
to both us (because we already support most of them, especially those
common with gcc/g++) and a majority of our users (most of whom already
have some build configuration that works with gfortran). New flags
should be added consist with our general conventions.

The current mix of gfortran-style and PGI-style flags doesn't clearly
serve anyone well. I agree, however, that we should nail this down
sooner rather than later.

  -Hal

--
Hal Finkel