[cfe-dev] C runtimes with PowerPC support for IBM long double?

ardi via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Dec 5 13:02:10 PST 2017

Hi,

I have some old C code written for PowerPC long double (IBM
double+double). I believe that clang supports generating IBM long
double code for ppc targets (correct me if I'm wrong), but I'd like to
know what C runtimes I could use together with clang in order to get
this floating point format working.

What I know for the moment:

- The Apple libc of course supports the IBM long double (at least in
versions older than when they removed ppc support).

- Linux seems to support it too in glibc (didn't test it myself,
though, so not 100% sure).

- The musl library won't support that format, by design decision (they
will only support standard formats).

- The support for long double in NetBSD seems quite recent (added in
7.0 in preliminary status, if I'm reading the relnotes correctly, so I
don't think IBM long double is supported at this point).

- No idea about OpenBSD nor FreeBSD (couldn't find any docs referring
to this, only the gcc manpage, but it's a manpage written by the gcc
authors, so it doesn't cover the support in the C runtime of the OS).

So, the only one that I know for sure supports this format is the
Apple libc. If you know of more alternatives, please tell, as I'd like
to continue working with this code.

Thanks!