[cfe-dev] RFC: Adding index-while-building support to Clang

Ilya Biryukov via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Aug 29 01:55:14 PDT 2017

Hi,

Thanks for the design.

1. You briefly mention an in-memory mapping on top the index to support
efficient lookup of index records.
Is it part of the available implementation? Do you think it would make
sense to reuse it in other tools?

I'm asking because that seems like something most editors and IDEs are also
interested in. Proper reuse of this implementation could prove useful.

2.  In clangd, we're not controlling the build step, instead building ASTs
in-memory. We would rather store the indexing information in-memory or
consume it on the go while building ASTs.
Do you have suggestions on which parts of the API we should look at?
We could implement our own IndexASTConsumer, but are there more
opportunities for reusing other parts of your implementation? Code for
collecting indexing dependencies, definitions of high-level record
structures (i.e. symbol definitions, etc.)?

--
Regards,
Ilya Biryukov