[cfe-dev] Using Clang 5.0.0 RC2 with MSVC dev builds

Reid Kleckner via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Aug 16 11:30:26 PDT 2017

On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 11:21 AM, Stephan T. Lavavej <
stl at exchange.microsoft.com> wrote:

> [STL]
> > Here's how to repro my directory structure in a clean VM.
>
> [don hinton]
> > Currently, for pre-2017, the root directory must be in the form <some
> path>/VC.
>
> Note that these development builds (both my actual ones, and the repro
> constructed from the nuget package) are 2017-class. They just don't conform
> to 2017's normal installer.
>
> > Could you try renaming x86ret and amd64ret to VC and try it again? e.g.:
> > C:\Temp\binaries\x86ret\bin\i386       ==> C:\Temp\binaries\VC\bin\i386
> > C:\Temp\binaries\amd64ret\bin\amd64    ==> C:\Temp\binaries\VC\bin\amd64
>
> Sure. x86 still misbehaves, but x64 works properly! Does this indicate
> that Clang just needs to do slightly less strict validation of the root
> directory (possibly controlled by an option)?

I'm in favor of this. If we find a cl.exe on PATH, we can take its version
and use that to set our compatibility mode flags. We don't need to validate
that it looks like its in a VC installation tree, and I'd rather not have
an option for it. Whatever we use the knowledge of the VC tree root for
would probably not work though. We won't be able to find and prefer the
x64/x86 cross-linker, for example.