[cfe-dev] [Preprocessor] MSVC Preprocessor compatibility fixes

Keane, Erich via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Apr 13 14:48:20 PDT 2017

From: thakis at google.com [mailto:thakis at google.com] On Behalf Of Nico Weber
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2017 2:46 PM
To: Keane, Erich <erich.keane at intel.com>
Cc: cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Subject: Re: [cfe-dev] [Preprocessor] MSVC Preprocessor compatibility fixes

On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 5:41 PM, Keane, Erich <erich.keane at intel.com<mailto:erich.keane at intel.com>> wrote:

From: thakis at google.com<mailto:thakis at google.com> [mailto:thakis at google.com<mailto:thakis at google.com>] On Behalf Of Nico Weber
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2017 2:36 PM
To: Keane, Erich <erich.keane at intel.com<mailto:erich.keane at intel.com>>
Cc: cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org<mailto:cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org>

General comments:
* Are these necessary for parsing system headers?
[Keane, Erich] No, these are all based on our internal test suite, usually because they were used in some sort of open source project.

Is it possible to fix the project instead?
[Keane, Erich] For the most part, no.  Most of these are things that are fairly ubiquitously used/abused in the MS world.  In many cases (where they came from our test suite), I don’t know where the original code IS, since it is in some closed-soruce software.

  Our “Windows Dashboard” has a pretty poor compilation success rate, of which these seem to matter quite a bit.
* Is it possible to emit some -Wmicrosoft warning for when we do these? (https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1oxNHaVjA9Gn_rTzX6HIpJHP7nXRua_0URXxxJ3oYRq0/edit#slide=id.g71ecd450e_2_812)
[Keane, Erich] Possible?  Sure.  I didn’t see any existing warning for this case in the current __VA_ARGS__ situation, but if consensus is that we should do so, I can definitely add that.